Re: ArcInfo development

From: Brook Milligan
Subject: Re: ArcInfo development
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:02:36 -0700 (MST)

   > Another big task, one that I won't pursue unless there is dedicated
   > funding, is Swarm integration with ArcInfo 8. Via COM, it is
   > possible to represent agents in ArcInfo 8 geodatabase landscapes and
   > visualize them. This would involve adapting a variant of the XPCOM
   > support in Swarm for Microsoft COM, and then building some models
   > either with the IMT infrastructure (adding a GIS plug-in) or, IMO
   > less-desirably, using Microsoft supported languages like Visual Basic,
   > Java, or C#.

   As a partner of an economic consultancy and a Swarm user, I am considering a
   project that would require a Swarm model to be integrated with a geographic
   sw. The project would require active fund-raising activities, but I am not
   able to quantify the amount of resources we could access to. I'm actually
   considering simply its feasibility, at a very preliminar stage.
   Could you give me a rough idea of the effort required to implement this
   integration, both in terms of time and money? Could you also give me some
   hints on the required steps, and on the various funtional levels that would
   be achieved?

May I suggest considering using GRASS (www.baylor.edu/~grass) as the
GIS?  Like Swarm, it is open source.  It also offers a bunch of
features that would likely make interfacing with Swarm relatively
straightforward.

Cheers,
Brook