Re: Swarm installation on Linux mandrake 7.0

From: pauljohn
Subject: Re: Swarm installation on Linux mandrake 7.0
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:53:05 -0500

Olivier and I have had a little correspondence, and I don't have a
Mandrake system to test, but here is what I would do.

1. Go to http://rufus.w3.org and search there for blt for Mandrake. I
see several in there.

2. If blt will install without conflicts/dependency problems, then try
to install swarm-2.1.1's rpm for redhat.  I see above you have the rpms
for rh6. I think it will not work because of differences in the C
libraries from rh6 and Mandrake, and I will be surprised if it installs.

If it does install, download the swarmapps-2.1.1 package from ftp and
then see if you can make some swarm programs in objective C.

If that does not work, proceed to step

3. If swarm rpms dont work on the objective c programs, you could try
the newer swarm rpms from my site, those are for RedHat 7 and are more
likely to match current mandrake.

4. If that does not work, you need to build your own swarm.  I think the
easiest way i to find a spec file and use that to build a new rpm. You
must install jikes if you build java support, I have not looked to see
if there is jikes for Mandrake. There are  problems with various
editions of gcc, and I'd recommend either gcc-2.95.3 or 3.0 for building
swarm.  If you don't build a swarm rpm, you can recompile swarm the
regular GNU way (compile --many options hereXXX; make; make install).
That's described in the SwarmOnlineFaq. You still need jikes & gcc for
that.

Supposing step 2 did work, and you can run objc programs, then you check
which kaffe you have, and see if its files are installed in the same
place as the kaffe rpm from www.transvirtual.com.  If they are installed
in the same place, there is a chance swarm-kaffe rpm will work.  But
maybe not.  If not, that means when you build swarm, you need to tell
the configure statement about what jdk you are using.

Just to explain, here, swarm is built against a java kit, kaffe or jdk,
and if your java kit does not install files in the same place as what
swarm expects, then you get crashes like you describe. Here is the file
list from the current kaffe offering that you can compare against what
Mandrake installed (you do rpm -ql kaffe to see a list of files your
kaffe installed) (note if you install this one from transvirtual you
should delete the jar program it installs, it is defective):

address@hidden pauljohn]$ rpm -qilp kaffe-1.0.5-6.i386.rpm
Name        : kaffe                        Relocations: (not
relocateable)
Version     : 1.0.5                             Vendor: Transvirtual
Technologies, Inc.
Release     : 6                             Build Date: Mon 18 Oct 1999
12:46:57 AM CDT
Install date: (not installed)               Build Host:
chestnut.corp.transvirtual.com
Group       : Development/Languages         Source RPM:
kaffe-1.0.5-6.src.rpm
Size        : 2396973                          License: GPL
URL         : http://www.kaffe.org
Summary     : A free virtual machine to run Java(tm) code
Description :
This is Kaffe, a virtual machine designed to execute Java bytecode.
This machine can be configured in two modes.  In one mode it operates as
a pure bytecode interpreter (not unlike Javasoft's machine); in the
second
mode if performs "just-in-time" code conversion from the abstract code
the host machine's native code.  This will ultimately allow execution of
Java code at the same speed as standard compiled code but while
maintaining
the advantages and flexibility of code independence.
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/appletviewer
/usr/bin/install-jar
/usr/bin/jar
/usr/bin/java
/usr/bin/javac
/usr/bin/javadoc
/usr/bin/javakey
/usr/bin/javap
/usr/bin/jdb
/usr/bin/kaffe
/usr/bin/kaffeh
/usr/bin/kjc
/usr/bin/native2ascii
/usr/bin/rmic
/usr/bin/rmiregistry
/usr/bin/serialver
/usr/include
/usr/include/kaffe
/usr/include/kaffe/Arrays.h
/usr/include/kaffe/errors.h
/usr/include/kaffe/java_lang_Object.h
/usr/include/kaffe/java_lang_String.h
/usr/include/kaffe/java_lang_Thread.h
/usr/include/kaffe/java_lang_ThreadGroup.h
/usr/include/kaffe/java_lang_Throwable.h
/usr/include/kaffe/jmalloc.h
/usr/include/kaffe/jni.h
/usr/include/kaffe/jni_cpp.h
/usr/include/kaffe/jsyscall.h