[Fwd: Swarm 2.1.1 compile on cygwin for Win 2000]

From: pauljohn
Subject: [Fwd: Swarm 2.1.1 compile on cygwin for Win 2000]
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:11:07 -0500

Dear Windoze users:

I'm forwarding this support request because I think it is a great
question.  I've wanted to do the same myself and will probably try it
some day. Here is the question, really: if somebody has a full current
cygwin32 package installed,  what is necessary to build swarm?  If
nobody has done this or tried, I will try it.

Here is my guess at what the answer might be.  First, Proceed as if you
had a unix system.  Figure out where your cygwin32 stuff is, which
packages you have installed, and what shows up in a terminal when you
type "mount".  The mount command means that files on your windows system
exist in unix style directories, like / or /usr.  See whatever the
cygwin install did on your system.  Swarm no longer requires the
installation of libffi or separate tclobcj, right? So that means we just
need to figure out about blt, a required package, and hdf5 and java,
which are optional. Maybe cygwin even has blt!

Over the years, I've written careful, detailed instructions on how to
install swarm in unix systems, and you should look in the unix part of
the SwarmOnlineFaq, or even at the old SwarmFaq, where I had detailed
instructions for building even older swarms. Building everything in a
GNU frame of mind is a sequence of "configure"  "make" and "make
install" and almost all the action is in the options you pass to
configure. Look at the unix advice for installing swarm-1.1 (question
2.14), for example, where I go into big detail on installing tcl,tk,blt,
etc. You will need to follow a route like that.

Since cygwin32 comes with tcl/tk and gcc, the first thing is to build
blt. I've done that many times, it has comprehensive instructions in the
tarball.  At one time, it was necessary to download the source for
tcl/tk and put the blt package into a subdirectory parallel to tcl and
tk and then configure some files in blt.  The key thing is that, when
you follow the directions, the configure statement is going to have to
have correct, unix style paths.

You are going to need jikes or the Sun jdk installed for a java
compiler.  When you untar Swarm, you can type ./configure --help to see
a master list of all its options, and you may have to specify them in
detail--tell where your X libraries are.  In SwarmFaq 3.11 it discusses
building swarm against the version of cygnus that swarm installs, I
think you just need to translate the paths from your cygwin install into
that kind of approach.

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Swarm 2.1.1 compile on cygwin for Win 2000 Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 13:37:08 +1000
Hi Paul,

I'm trying to compile Swarm 2.1.1 for Win 2000 using cygwin (dll version
1.3.2 & associated tools). However I'm having some difficulties in compiling
some of the required libraries (possibly) due to my relative inexperience
with Unix-style library management as well as certain libraries complaining
"not ported to cygwin" etc.. I have tried looking for pointers FAQS etc
which might be able to help me along in this cygwin-specific compilation
process but without much luck. I was wondering therefor if you knew of any
such 'cheat sheet' ...

My reason for re-compiling Swarn under cygwin on my own is that I have
previously installed the complete cygwin distribution in order to use it to
compile other programs. However the current swarm 2.1.1 Win distribution
comes with it's own cygwin which upon installation conflicts with and breaks
the existing cygwin setup. So that all my 'cygwin dependant' programs can
co-exist peacfully I am thus faced with recompiling Swarm. Any suggestions
as to 'easier' ways of achieving this would be much appreciated ..

Regards,.
Chris.

--- End Message ---