Re: Lisp Serialization: GZ support?

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Lisp Serialization: GZ support?
Date: 16 Mar 2002 18:08:50 -0800

PJ> I don't think I will do the Swarm work Marcus outlined yesterday
PJ> to archive Arguments_c because I found other work arounds, but I
PJ> would be interested in/be willing to work on another thing if some
PJ> of you C guys would give me a pointer.

Look at zlib(3).  "man zip".  "less /usr/include/zlib.h".

It's already required for Swarm.  In the Red Hat zlib-devel package,
there's an example program.

e.g. on my Red Hat 7.2 system it's in:

/usr/share/doc/zlib-devel-1.1.3/example.c

PJ> I want Swarm to open gzipped *.scm files.  What would it take?
PJ> Anybody done compression work on anything?  --

You could add a command-line option to tell Swarm to expect the .scm
in gzipped format (e.g. files should have extension .scm.gz so they
can be easily distinguished from regular .scm files) and use the C
library interface to open/uncompress the stream and then pass the
uncompressed stream to the regular .scm stream serialization routines.

A.
--
  Alex Lancaster           |
  Swarm Development Group  |     web: http://www.swarm.org