Re: Lisp Serialization: GZ support?

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Lisp Serialization: GZ support?
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:38:13 -0600

The hang-ups I've got with hdf5 output are

1. Can't save dynamically allocated arrays of ints and doubles
and
2. Can't save Swarm Arrays of objects.

You've shown me how to do #1 in Lisp and I've patched Swarm to do #2 in Lisp. (I think I sent that patch recently, but if I didn't, please let me know and I'll send again).

To me, the documentation for HDF5 from NCSA is still discouraging/overwhelming, and from looking through Swarm, I don't understand how Swarm is using HDF5 most of the time. I don't have anything against HDF5, except that I don't have time/patience/training to understand it. Even the terms they think are basic and obvious like "compound" are for me puzzling and mysterious.

I could anticipate your counter argument that if I'm willing to try to learn gz compression library, I ought to be willing to learn HDF5 instead. That is a good one.

But I've got a short-term deadline of proving serialization can be done, at least with the Lisp I've gotten that far. I've got a medium term goal of running a model for a few months and then re-analyzing its output data.

pj

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
PJ> I don't know how to do the archiving output in HDF5.
For storing object references in HDF5 you can do the same kind of
thing as with the Lisp serialization.  Make a global Map of integers
associated with the (global, multi-referenced) objects and store the
integers in the agents.