RE: Tcl/Tk/BLT versions

From: Paul Box
Subject: RE: Tcl/Tk/BLT versions
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 02:35:48 -0700

Hi Benjamin

You don't say what version of gcc, tcl, tk, blt, or suse that you're using
here, which would be helpful.  The simplest solution would be to use the
binary distribution from the swarm sites-- there are rpms available for SuSE
6.3; I can't say how successful you would be installing them on 7.3, or
whichever is the latest SusSE version.

I am one of the stubborn people who insisted on building things from scratch,
and now have a version that will require more fiddling than needed because I
didn't bother to learn what rpms do ;-)

Your problem seems similar to a problem that I had, where swarm compiled just
fine from source but would give a segmentation fault every time I ran an app.
It turned out to be a blt problem (I was building on a redhat 7.2 using
gcc3.0.4, tcl8.3, tk8.3).  I had problems with BLT2.4o (one of the development
versions); I finally got things to work when I went to sourceforge and got the
latest version of BLT that I could find (BLT2.4x).

I warn you-- my solution is very messy.  If you can find a way of relying on
rpms for your install, using SuSE's updating facility, you will probably have
a version that you can live and grow with more easily.

Let me know if you still have problems; at any rate, give more information
about your current system and the list will better be able to help you.

>===== Original Message From Benjamin Inden <address@hidden>
=====
>Hi,
>I am still trying to install Swarm on SuSE Linux. I got the help of a
>system administrator who managed to compile Swarm. But we still get
>(like with the RedHat RPM) errors when starting a GUI (like in
>Heatbugs). The windows remain empty, and a lot of error messages about
>syntax errors in Tcl appear. The system administrator told me the error
>is within BLT; he also tried the BLT versions from the Swarm ftp server,
>but without success. So he says if there is an eyewitness who has seen
>Swarm's GUI running wth some Tcl/Tk/BLT versions, he would get these and
>compile them on his machine.
>
>So could anyone with a Swarm versions whose GUI is working tell me which
>versions of Tcl/Tk/BLT (s)he is using?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Benjamin Inden
>address@hidden

>   Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical details of the day
>   to day usage of Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp.
>   [un]subscribing), please send a message to <address@hidden>
>   with "help" in the body of the message.

// Paul Box
// Geography and Earth Resources