Focus on the Runtime question first (was Re: GNUstep and MacOS X Port Ef

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Focus on the Runtime question first (was Re: GNUstep and MacOS X Port Effort
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 11:36:59 -0500

<snip>
I've learned a lot from this thread and I'm getting some relatively specific ideas about what needs to be done for all Swarm, not just for Mac users. All would gain.

It seems to me our biggest priority should be to cut out the Swarm libobjc, so we run against the native GNUruntime/libobj that comes with gcc.

Hm. Either that, or copy the upgraded runtime files from the gcc-20020909 distribution. The file class.c has a pretty long discussion of how they got their speedup of class method lookup and I think that Swarm programs won't benefit from that unless we either use their libobjc or copy their class.c. Scott C mentioned that Swarm could keep its own runtime last week, but unfortunately I don't know how we would make files that use the Swarm runtime coexist with the gnustep runtime from GNU. GNUstep does use the GNU runtime, I think.

Maybe it is easier just to copy their updated files and make whatever changes Marcus made for the 64 bit systems.

If we want to remove libobjc altogether, Marcus gave the steps, which entail 1) finding the "improvements" he made and sending them back to gcc, 2) finding the functionality he inserted (mframe, what else?) and putting it somewhere else, and 3) doing whatever Makefile magic is necessary with the rest of the Swarm library so that they don't build libobjc anymore.

That would be the kind of work I would probably screw up a lot before getting it right, and so I'm not keen to start out. But Alessandro said he knew some actual programmers, and so maybe they could help.
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504