Re: FW: Swarm2.1.1 source code compiling error (explow.c) on Linux Re d

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: FW: Swarm2.1.1 source code compiling error (explow.c) on Linux Re d Hat 7.2
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:56:40 -0600

You can build/install gcc and swarm in your own user account. The key thing is that the gcc that RedHat ships has bad bugs, so you need either to step back to gcc-3.0.4 or to gcc-3.3 snapshot 2002-09-09. If you patch gcc and build it to install in /home/your_name/gcc3 then when you build swarm you can change your environment so it knows to build your gcc.

When you build swarm with gcc-2002-09-09, please use the Swarm snapshot I've already built and tried:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH8.0/swarm-2.1.141.20021019.tar.gz

If you use a newer gcc snapshot, I know of one other fix you need to make, but lets worry on that later.

If you build gcc-3.0.4, the correct patch is:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Marcus_objc_gcc301.patch

If you build gcc-3.3 and want support for method functions in swarm, you should patch gcc-2002-09-09 with this:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Marcus_gcc301_MethodFunction.patch

before building.

When you build swarm, follow the usual procedure with making a build directory. Something like this in the swarm dir: (i'm typing from memory now)

# mkdir build
# cd build
# CC=/home/your_name/gcc3/bin/gcc JAVAC=jikes ../configure --srcdir=../ --with-defaultdir=/usr --prefix=/home/your_name/swarm-2.1.141 --enable-subdirs --with-jdkdir=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.0 # PATH=/home/your_name/gcc3/bin make EXTRACPPFLAGS=-DMETHOD_FUNCTIONS EXTRALDFLAGS=-static-libgcc JAVAC=/usr/bin/jikes

good luck.

Yu, Tina (GwoingYu) wrote:
Thanks Paul, for the help. I do not have "su" authority to run rpm,
hence can't install the 3 files. I am thinking about compiling swarm in
XP environment ? Would you recommend me to do that ?
Thank you very much for the help !!

Tina