Re: installing on debian

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: installing on debian
Date: 16 Jan 2003 15:44:52 -0800

WR> Hi, as a debian newbie I am trying to install swarm.  When
WR> installing with dpkg -i *.deb <all deb files downloadable from ftp
WR> in dev> I get errors with the blt* and swarm packages.

WR> 1.) blt82 is not installed because it tries to overwrite existing
WR> blt package 2.) swarm dependes ond blt82 and xpm4g which I don't
WR> find anywhere.

The Debian packages for Swarm 2.1.11 are woefully out of date with
respect to Debian 3.0 (stable/woody) and were last compiled on 10
April 2000 for Debian 2.2 (potato, I believe).

WR> Can you help me?  wr -- .(sic!)nature

I suspect the Debian binary packages need a significant amount of work
to get them into shape for even installing on a recent version of
Debian.

Basically the Debian package for Swarm is currently orphaned and needs
a new maintainer.

It would be more useful to the Swarm project if you could attempt to
compile it from source on the recent stable version of Debian and
especially try repackaging the snapshot/development release into a new
.deb using the dpkg scripts (which I can send to you if you need them).

Alex
--
      Alex Lancaster |  Swarm Development Group  |  http://www.swarm.org