Trying to compile on RedHat beta (phoebe)

From: Peter Jones
Subject: Trying to compile on RedHat beta (phoebe)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:11:02 -0500 (EST)

Dear Swarm Support list:

I am trying to compile swarm on RedHat version 8.0.92 (phoebe).

I am using the CVS snapshot. I have tried both the most-recent, and
version 2.1.1 (the most recent stable release, I believe). I
am showing my results for 2.1.1.

As there is no configure in the CVS archive, I used autoconf 2.5.7,
which came with the RedHat, but I got diagnostics. I also tried
the generated configure anyway, but got a syntax error.

Your help would be appreciated.

Peter Jones

--------- start of output -------------------
Script started on Fri Jan 17 14:51:53 2003
# TERM=unknown
# cat cvsg.bash
cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/swarm login
cvs -z3 -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/swarm co -r Swarm-2_1_1 swarm
# . cvsg.bash
Logging in to :pserver:address@hidden:2401/cvsroot/swarm
CVS password:
cvs server: Updating swarm
U swarm/AUTHORS
U swarm/COPYING
U swarm/ChangeLog
U swarm/INSTALL
U swarm/Makefile.am
U swarm/NEWS
U swarm/README
U swarm/THANKS
U swarm/VERSION
U swarm/acconfig.h
U swarm/config.guess
U swarm/config.sub
U swarm/configure.in
U swarm/externvar.h.in
U swarm/install-sh
U swarm/ltconfig
U swarm/ltmain.sh
U swarm/missing
U swarm/mkinstalldirs
cvs server: Updating swarm/COM
cvs server: Updating swarm/COM/c
cvs server: Updating swarm/avcall
U swarm/avcall/COPYING
U swarm/avcall/ChangeLog
..... rest of CVS output omitted
# cd swarm
# autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.57
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

# autoconf
configure.in:5: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.in:11: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER
configure.in:21: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
configure.in:233: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL
# ./configure
./configure: line 1407: syntax error near unexpected token `swarm,'
./configure: line 1407: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(swarm, $VERSION)'
# exit

Script done on Fri Jan 17 14:53:03 2003