Re: Multithreading question

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Multithreading question
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:45:07 -0700

it's probably true that in my case the real bottleneck is not Swarm's expensive way of passing messages to the members of the list (uhm, a 10x speedup of your code? I think I need to check that createActionForEach CPU-eater more closely, in Swarm's source); still it looks a really neat trick that might help save many CPU cycles in those cases when one, after prototyping in Swarm, doesn't feel like restarting from scratch in C++ or Fortran or whatever, as Glen suggested.

-[at:]createFActionForEachHomogeneous:call: will give better performance than a C `for' loop that just reissues the messages in one place. It will lift the message dispatches out of the loop and do the same for loop on your behalf. Use a C `for' loop if you can trivially remove all message-sends from inside the loop. You can even have the FCall passed to this method be a simple function call.