Re: Multithreading question

From: Matteo Morini
Subject: Re: Multithreading question
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:23:22 +0100

Well, the thread is getting a little bit too hardware-oriented for me to follow; still I'd like to give you my 2c.

If what you need from your model is a noticeable performance boost I'm afraid you have no other choice than making it able to run on multiple cpus (or virtual cpus, if I understand correctly what HT is about), but *splitting it into multiple processes*. I'm quite sure partitioning OS tasks to one of the virtual cpus in an HT physical cpu (or one of the physical cpus in a 'proper' MP pc) is not that big advantage, since I doubt your OS has much else to do besides idling and routing some stray interrupt, when there aren't other 'heavy' processes running on the machine, unless you have a big deal of I/O caused by your code (continuous disk access? Network traffic?). This is especially true, IMHO, when we're talking about >3Ghz processors.

Cheers, Matteo

Darold Higa wrote:

[snip]

I understand that Intel's HT will give some boost in performance even if your
application is a monolithic block since OS tasks are partitioned off to one of
the virtual processors.
[snip]

Darold Higa