Re: [Swarm-Support] sending messages with parameters in ModelSwarm

From: gepr
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] sending messages with parameters in ModelSwarm
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:32:33 -0800

Eliezer Gurarie writes:
 > I am a new Swarm user with a quick tactical programming question:  Can I
 > send a message in my Actionlist that depends on a parameter?
 >
 > In my Action list I would like to perform a "rearrangement" of a
 > Discrete2D object "preyspace" - based on a paramater "preyProb" like so:
 > *
 > [modelActions createActionTo: preyspace       message: M(rearrange:
 > preyProb)]*;
 >
 > where "rearrange" is a standard method that takes a float "p":
 > *- rearrange: (float)p*
 >
 > the compiler responds with:   *ModelSwarm:133: parse error before
 > before: ")" *
 >
 > Does Swarm just inherently forbid passing methods with parameters in the
 > ActionList?  Do I have to define the rearrange somewhere earlier (though
 > it feels like this is the most natural place to tell it to do the
 > rearrange?)

If I understand what you're asking, check out:

http://www.swarm.org/swarmdocs/set/swarm.activity.actioncreatingto.protocol.html

The syntax should be something like:

[modelActions createActionTo: preyspace message: M(rearrange:) : preyProb];

Don't forget the ":" inside the "M" macro...

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 503.630.4505                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr