[Swarm-Support] Re: I wish I didn't have to use windows

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Re: I wish I didn't have to use windows
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:31:34 -0600

I'm sorry to say I did not succeed in building a new Swarm pretest snapshot on Windows. On my Windows ME system I could not get swarm to work at all, as a matter of fact. It does work on my NT system, after installing the older tcltk package. I may try to build Swarm on there, but that system is pretty slow, building gcc takes a full workday...

I'm hoping somebody from the community will step forward to build a windows snapshot. I really wish I had the time/patience, but since I moved over to Linux in order to use Swarm in 1997, I feel a certain amount of anguish and unhappiness to have to go back to Windoze and build something for other people.

Jacob D. Goldstein wrote:
Paul,

On 2003.03.07 you wrote:

 > OVer the weekend, I will see if I can't build an updated snapshot for
 > you against the current cCygwin distro.

Did you ever get to do it? I tried downloading and using the old tcl/tk you kindly made available at

<http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/miscSupportSoftware/Cygwin/tcltk-20001125-1.tar.gz>http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/miscSupportSoftware/Cygwin/tcltk-20001125-1.tar.gz

Unfortunately, I am unable to expand the file with winzip, even though I had no problem with the tar.gz swarm and swarmapps files.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jake Goldstein