[Swarm-Support] Trying to run or build dev. swarm under cygwin

From: perros nolikeyjunk
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Trying to run or build dev. swarm under cygwin
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 04:59:32 +0000

(My earlier version of this was more detailed, but got rejected,
so this version now may not be as accurate, but I think I recall
most of what I did actually.)

I've tried to use the developmental swarm binary snapshot with cygwin.
I think it was (graciously) donated by Paul Johnson; unfortunately
it uses an older version of TCL (8.0) than current cygwin versions
(8.4 I believe).

I resolved to compiled from scratch. I started  out with the blt
from the development snapshot, and had some troubles (which I
can't recall now). Paul Johnson gave me a copy of blt2.4u with
4 (?) patches, from a redhat build, and I tried to compile that,
but hit a problem that I think is because at least part of it uses
K&R headers (arguments declared after the function), and (at
least)one of these was coupled with a real function declaration of
the same function earlier. I found a web article which seemed to
state that gcc will not allow this to compile this, so I did not
go looking thru the millions of gcc flags.

I found the sourceforge site for blt (sf.net/projects/blt -- how
cleverly concealed :)), and tried to compile blt2.4z, the current
version there.

With blt2.4u I had to specify the locations of my tk and tcl
libraries and my X11 headers, this although they are all in
standard locations (tk & tcl libs in /lib which is the same as
/usr/lib on cygwin, and X11/Xlib.h is in /usr/X11R6/include).
That is to say, I passed some arguments giving all these
locations to the configure script. (The tcl & tk arguments
were documented; the --x-includes was not, but I found it in
the configure/configure.in.)

However, the --x-includes option seems to have been removed
from blt2.4z, and when I build the whole thing (which does
find my tcl & tk, but does not find my X11/Xlib.h), I think
I do not have a successful version.

Now, I am a complete newbie to swarm, and really to tcl/tk and
blt as well, so I don't really know. I do know that I cannot
run the demo specified in the INSTALL for blt2.4z because I
do not have the bltwish that it says I should have (as
confirmed by a find in my blt2.4z directory).

I've posted this last bit to the blt project on sourceforge,
but thought I'd bring it up here in case anyone has been
through this recently (which doesn't seem likely from
the recent archive), or in case this rings any bells, ...

Cordially,

Perry

I see from the archive that someone (perhaps again Paul Johnson)
has made available a package for building tcl8.0, so I may
try building that soon. As long as I don't run "make install"
I can probably use that (I don't want to redirect a main
tcl symlink, just have the 8.0 version available for binaries
linked to it).

However, it would be nice to have binaries built with tcl8.4,
I think.