Re: [Swarm-Support] OSX frameworks

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] OSX frameworks
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 07:08:16 +1000

There is no way that the current Swarm build will work with any Apple
Objective-C code.

Swarm is using a different runtime.  So its objects exist in a different
execution space to Apples objects.  They cannot message each other except
with some remote messaging system which is not yet implemented.

You should be able to use Frameworks written in C or C++ like AquaTcl/Tk.

Your syntax errors are likely because appropriate environment
variables/macros are not set up by the GNU headers included by the Swarm
build system.

It looks to me as if what you are trying to do is too hard at this stage.
Eventually we would like to get Swarm to work with Apple classes, but we
are a long way from that now.

Bill Northcott

address@hidden wrote on 16/04/2003 06:14:01 PM:

> I'm trying to use the CoreMIDI framework. When I include the header in
> the c code for the functionality I need to add (I'm creating MIDI ports
> from Observer Swarm), the compiler gives me a thousand syntax errors in
> .../ MIDIServices.h. Presumably it finds it, at least!

> As for the linking, I obviously haven't got that far, but would this
> line go in the APPLIBS line of the Makefile?
> Thanks for all this,
> Jonathan
>
> On Saturday, April 12, 2003, at 01:40 AM, Bill Northcott wrote:

> > A few extras to Russell's comments:
> > The standard search path is for frameworks is:
> > $HOME/Library/Frameworks:/Library/Frameworks:/System/Library
> > /Frameworks
> >
> > However, it is not quite as simple as linking against the framework.
In