Re: [Swarm-Support] building swarm without emacs

From: Artem Baguinski
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] building swarm without emacs
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:42:33 +0200

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 03:43:52AM -0600, Paul Box wrote:
> If you search the archives for the support mailing list, you will find that
> this has been addressed.  I haven't built swarm from source in a while, but I
> have built it a couple of years ago on a machine that did not have the
> correct
> version of emacs, and I got around it by disabling java support.
>
> >From a thread in 2000:
> http://www.swarm.org/pipermail/support/2000-August/009036.html

ah, i didn't look good enough then, only found mentioning emacs in more
recent mail...

> The switch to disable java is  --without-jdkdir

aha! this is what i was looking for and this piece of information isn't
obvious neither from installbook nor from INSTALL file. i guess it's
implied there, but it wasn't enough for me :)

> Can you suggest where the installbook should be changed to make this more
> clear?

now i think the right place is INSTALL file, around line 88.

Anyway, disabling java doesn't help:

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/artm/projects/alife/swarm/swarm/src'
cp -f ../etc/common.el /home/artm/projects/alife/swarm/swarm/_common.el
TOP_BUILDDIR='/home/artm/projects/alife/swarm/swarm'
BUILDDIR='/home/artm/projects/alife/swarm/swarm/src' SWARMSRCDIR='..' missing
-batch -f batch-byte-compile /home/artm/projects/alife/swarm/swarm/_common.el
/bin/sh: missing: command not found
make[3]: *** [/home/artm/projects/alife/swarm/swarm/common.elc] Error 127
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/artm/projects/alife/swarm/swarm/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/artm/projects/alife/swarm/swarm/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/artm/projects/alife/swarm/swarm'
make: *** [all] Error 2

you can see it still tries to call emacs (but calls missing instead).

Thanks anyway.