Re: [Swarm-Support] error: TkExtra (instance)

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] error: TkExtra (instance)
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:53:59 -0500

I think the TkExtra error is going back to the problem that Swarm is not correctly installed in your user account, or perhaps there is a flaw in your blt installation.

I think we need to go back where I was pushing before. I think the problem is showing up here because you are trying to access the gui, and that is where blt and other stuff becomes important. The one big warning that makes me think your install is wrong is that you say you used gcc-3.2.1, and I know for a fact that Swarm does not compile cleanly with that compiler. So it makes me wonder if you applied some special touches to get past the compiler warnings.

As I recall you don't have root privilege, so you can't install RPMS. too bad. You need to follow a pretty strict regime in your user account.

use gcc-3.0.4(patched) or gcc-3.3, not gcc-3.2.

In case you need the gcc-3.0.4 patch, it is here:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/software/gcc-upgrades/3.0.4RH72/Marcus_objc_gcc301.patch

The autoconf version for swarm is 2.52, so get that. Maybe you don't need it if you install swarm from a readymade tarball, but if you try from CVS, you need that for sure.

install/test blt. On RH9, I'm still using the blt that was distributed with RH8. I had trouble with the newer 2.4z version, but the version RedHat used, blt-2.4u-7, seems OK to me.

install/test hdf5. The version that works for me is:
hdf5-1.4.5post2
The newer ones had some bugs that they were working around.

Of course, you have to install that in your user account. I think there will be some monkey business with LD_LIBRARY_PATH because your blt libs will not be in /usr/lib, but rather in /home/matthew/packages/blt/lib or whatever. But I think you can get past that by setting some environment variables, such as

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/matthew/packages/blt/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Get the tarball for the newest swarm snapshot there is.

I think the last one I made is:

swarm-2.1.147.20030812

You will have a very complicated configure statement, if you have trouble, let us know what you try.

Matthew E. Gaston wrote:

I've (successfully?) installed swarm on Redhat 9, kernel 2.4.20-18.9,

with

gcc 3.2.1.  Using the tutorial to test swarm, all simpleBug's work until
the gui's are introduced (simpleObserverBug). Then, upon execution I

get:

# ./bug
error: TkExtra (instance)

Aborted