Re: [Swarm-Support] Can't run jheatbugs in Win XP, Swarm-2.2testing13

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Can't run jheatbugs in Win XP, Swarm-2.2testing13
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:56:06 -0400

As you all know by now, I don't use Windows and don' advocate it. But I read the emails in this list and here is what I recall.

1. A recent Cygwin upgrade broke Java Swarm.
2. There is no fix, except to get the older cygwin.dll or instead of the Sun jdk use gcj to compile your Swarm java program.

That's all I know, since I don't advocate for Windows and I don't use Java much, I can't help to fix.

Here's a May 14 message from Marcus Daniels in swarm-support;

MGD wrote:
emcleskey wrote:

> I don't know what version they are up to now but I do recall testing 1.5.7-1 when that came along and I got the same error as with 1.5.6-1. I can't tell you WHAT in the dll's makes the difference (that's way beyond my capabilities) only that by using version 1.5.5-1 seemed to fix the problem.

I recall the problem has to do with the location of resource table for Cygwin that is assigned a fixed address in virtual memory. Java would assume it could allocate big blocks of virtual memory for its own purposes and then there would be a conflict and Java would bail. I worked around it once by moving this region to another area, i.e. I recompiled the Cygwin DLL. Ideally both Cygwin and Sun Java would be adaptive in this way (or, say, enhance Cygwin to be configurable). One option is to compile using GCJ. Another would be to port Swarm to mingw32.

Carlo C. Maley wrote:
Unfortunately, I have to echo Geraldine and Vegard to say that after I get Swarm-2.2testing13 and jdk1.4.2_04 running on a Win XP machine, following the instructions of Tim Howe (http://www.ku.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/Memos/pretest11Install.txt),

jheatbugs won't run.

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504