[Swarm-Support] Can't run jheatbugs in Win XP, Swarm-2.2testing13

From: Carlo C. Maley
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Can't run jheatbugs in Win XP, Swarm-2.2testing13
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 23:56:14 -0700

Unfortunately, I have to echo Geraldine and Vegard to say that after I get Swarm-2.2testing13 and jdk1.4.2_04 running on a Win XP machine, following the instructions of Tim Howe (http://www.ku.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/Memos/pretest11Install.txt),

jheatbugs won't run.

When I do: javaswarm StartHeatbugs
It just returns with no error message and nothing happens.

Same behavior for jmousetrap - nothing happens and the command prompt returns.

I followed Paul's advice to get the latest jheatbugs from the testing directory (jheatbugs-2001-03-28.tar.gz), I got the same behavior.

I should mention that java is working (on other java code).

On further inspection (with good old printf's and -verbose flags) I confirmed Geraldine's observation that it is crashing on Globals.env.initSwarm in StartHeatbugs.java. The -verbose flag gives this hint:
[Loaded java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError from c:\j2sdk1.4.2_04\jre\lib\rt.jar]

Same thing with jmousetrap.

But I'm neither a real java hacker nor a Windows guru, so I have no clue where to go from here.

Anyone know what to do?

thanks, Carlo

--
Carlo C. Maley, Ph.D.