[Swarm-Support] Re: SWARM for Mac OS X

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Re: SWARM for Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:36:19 +1000

XCode 1.5 can be used as an IDE for any sort of build system including Swarm's. You can even use it to build code on remote machines with a completely different architecture. Apple have put a number of good documents about this sort of thing on their developer web site recently.

I don't work with Fink. Once you install Fink your UNIX style software like Swarm is no longer running on MacOS X. It is running on Fink. Fink libraries and Fink executables will be used in preference to their MacOS X equivalents. It is similar to running Swarm using Cygwin on Windows. You are not really using Windows but running in the Cygwin environment hosted on Windows. Fink like Cygwin introduces the whole raft of Linux complications on to your machine and really makes you responsible for managing the compatibility of the installed components. There are a large number of possible reasons for something not working once Fink is installed.

If you send in some details of problems with console logs, we will try to give you some clues.

You do not need Fink to run Swarm on Panther. All the necessary libraries are available from my site and they install where they will not interfere with any other software.

Bill Northcott