RE: [Swarm-Support] Heatbug code question

From: Paul Box
Subject: RE: [Swarm-Support] Heatbug code question
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:57:44 -0700

The best way to answer the question is that it's probably the way that the
modeler visulazed the world working.  It's less an argument of what's the
"best" way to model, and more of an explicit description of how that modeler
views the world.  The "best" way to model usually does not come from a single
person coding, but from lots of discussion and lots of different ways of
representing the system in question.

One popular definition of agent-based modeling it that it's an exercise in
applied anthropomorphism.  When you model a bug you have to be thinking about
how that bug sees the world, and when you model a heatspace (or a landscape,
or a parcel, or anything else) you end up thinking about the world from a
heatspace or landscape's point of view.  In this case, the author saw the
heatspace as the thing that reports information in cells according to the
local area, rather than the bug searching for that information.

So, look at heatbugs (or any other program) as an opinion of how that system
should be modeled.