Re: [Swarm-Support] How do I use scripts to run swarm?

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] How do I use scripts to run swarm?
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:56:07 -0600

Re-write your code so that it accepts command line arguments for the parameters you want to vary. You need to have a command line argument for the random seed too, since you want to adjust that.

I worked on some new Swarm tutorial on how to do that. Did not write for Java, but maybe you can get the idea. You should find that in Swarm CVS apps directory, look for SimpleBatchSwarm. I have a pretty recent snapshot here:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/MySwarmCode/swarmapps_snap_20040925.tar.gz

For the scripting, you can use many alternatives. Sometimes I've used Drone, a free program you can download that was developed at U Michigan by Ted Belding. Also I wrote a Perl script "replicator" that also works. I've used these with Obj-C swarm models, but I bet if you look into it and give it a try and it does not work, you can ask again here and some Java users will know what to do.

In the Swarm Faq Memos directory, there are some notes about writing command-line processing into Swarm Java models.

pj

Vegard Hartmann wrote:
Hi,
I saw a post on the mailing list by Paul Johnson where he briefly mentions that he uses scripting tools to re-start swarm models. As I am new to Linux I do not know much about scripts. However, it would be very useful for me to use a script to run my application as I am having some memory leak problems. I use Fedora Core 2 and java. I read all my simulation parameters from a scm file, and there are two values in this that needs to be changed from one run to the other, these are in the two lines below from my scm file:
#:loadFile "load.generation.hdf5"
#:saveFile "save.generation.hdf5"

My question is therefore how, or if it is possible, to write a script that runs my model several times, and for each time modifies the two lines above in my scm file?

-Vegard