Re: [Swarm-Support] IDEs - who is using what

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] IDEs - who is using what
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 06:37:51 +1000

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 03:00:58PM -0400, Christopher J. Mackie wrote:
> Critical mass is a beautiful thing. I'm using Eclipse primarily now,
> because as more contributors pile on and support more compilers, I can
> use it for more and more types of projects -- and the more intensively I
> use it, the more productive I become. As much as I admire those who are
> developing their own editors for Swarm or RePast, I have to wonder if
> the effort wouldn't be better-invested in developing
> Swarm/RePast-specific extensions for a consensus platform like Eclipse?
> Of course, that begs the question, if you build it, in Eclipse or some
> competitive IDE, would they come?
>
> So, I would like to ask a compound variation on the original question:
>
> 1. Do we think that the community could reach agreement on whether
> anything would be gained on balance, for Swarm or any other ABM/IBM
> framework, by encouraging greater standardization around a single IDE?
> (note: 'encouraging', not 'requiring', and let's defer the question of
> which IDE for a moment)

I'm sceptical. The main problem is that I have been burned too often
with Java thingies simply not working when installed on my Linux
computer that I generally turn off when something is programmed in
Java. However, if I really need something, then I will try it out. So
far I seem to have had about a 50% strike rate in Java - much less
than the 95% or so strike rate I've had with compiled code (C, C++ or
in the case of Swarm Objective C).

Having said that, I am seriously contemplating evaluating RePast
and/or MASON.

> 2. Would there be further net benefits from encouraging standardization
> on an IDE across ABM/IBM frameworks and the ABM/IBM community more
> generally?

There is perhaps some benefit in standardising on an specification
language (UML perhaps) for agents that can be auto translated into
target implementation languages. One of my gripes at present is that I
wouldn't mind an automatic way of producing a Java version of my model
that could run in someone's browser with less demanding computational
inputs.

However this has to be done without resorting to the lowest common
denominator of the supported languages. And translation has to be
automatic, and hopefully two-way. Alas I fall into the category of
finding raw C++ code easier to read than UML diagrams.

Cheers