Re: [Swarm-Support] Re: Swarm 2.2 on Intel (and PPC) Mac OSX Tiger

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Re: Swarm 2.2 on Intel (and PPC) Mac OSX Tiger
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:14:17 +1000

On 13/07/2006, at 2:48 AM, Brandon M. Gabler wrote:
I decided it may be best to send out the compiler error when I attempt to
compile heatbugs. I changed the swarmhome in the heatbugs makefile to
/usr/local/swarm2.2, and other than that made no other changes.

Sorry for the long message, but the compiler output for heatbugs on OSX Intel is
as follows:

gcc -B ../../tools -g -O2 -Wno-long-double -o heatbugs Heatbug.o HeatSpace.o
main.o HeatbugModelSwarm.o HeatbugObserverSwarm.o HeatbugBatchSwarm.o
-L/usr/local/swarm2.2/lib /usr/local/swarm2.2/lib/libswarm.dylib
-L/Users/billn/Public/Swarm/swarm/macosx/build/src/space

There should be a '-arch ppc' in these lines. If it is not in this line, it will not have been in the compile commands for the object files Heatbug.o etc.. So the object files are i386 code and the link will fail.

It looks as if you have not properly modified /usr/local/swarm2.2/etc/ swarm/Makefile.common.

Lines 26 to 36 in that file should look like this:
CC = gcc -B ../../tools
CFLAGS =  -g -O2 -arch ppc -Wno-long-double
CPPFLAGS =  -D_GNU_SOURCE
EXPORT_EXTERN = @EXPORT_EXTERN@
IMPORT_EXTERN = @IMPORT_EXTERN@
SED = /usr/bin/gsed

OBJC=gcc -B ../../tools
OBJCFLAGS= -g -O2 -arch ppc -Wno-long-double -B $(top_srcdir)/tools - fgnu-runtime -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wno-import -Wno-protocol - Wno-long-long $(EXTRAOBJCFLAGS)

GNUSTEPLIBINCLUDES =

If you add the '-arch ppc' options to the CFLAGS and OBJCFLAGS as above and then do a clean rebuild of heatbugs, it will work. The rest of your transcript shows that you are linking the right libraries.

Bill