[Swarm-Support] Re: Swarm 2.2 on Intel (and PPC) Mac OSX Tiger

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Re: Swarm 2.2 on Intel (and PPC) Mac OSX Tiger
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:23:09 +1000

The current Swarm binary for MacOS X is PPC code. I hope to get a fat Tiger binary built soon.

Due to the amazing magic of Rosetta, it is possible to get ppc Swarm binaries to work on an Intel Mac!

First install Swarm as detailed in:
http://www.swarm.org/wiki/Swarm_FAQ:Macintosh_installation
http://www.swarm.org/wiki/Swarm:_MacOS_X_binaries

This has got a bit buried with reorganisations of the Swarm web site. I will try to improve the linking between these.

Then you need to make two small changes in the file /usr/local/ swarm2.2/etc/swarm/Makefile.common. On line 27 you will find the definition of CFLAGS and on line 34 the definition of OBJCFLAGS. Just add '-arch ppc' (without the quotes) to both lines.

You can then build and run Objective-C Swarm code as described in other documentation. I have not tried Java, but I will be very surprised if it works.

The extra compiler flag causes the compiler to build ppc code. Without it, the compiler defaults to i386 code which will fail at link time because there is no i386 code in the current Swarm binaries. However, a ppc binary, once built, runs happily due to the magic of Rosetta.

Bill Northcott