[Swarm-Support] Re: Swarm 2.2 on Intel (and PPC) Mac OSX Tiger

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Re: Swarm 2.2 on Intel (and PPC) Mac OSX Tiger
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:28:14 +1000

On 14/07/2006, at 3:13 AM, Brandon M. Gabler wrote:
Now if I can just get my own model to work (which is a modified version of the SchellingSwarm program by Benedikt Steffanson and Paul Johnson. I have posted
the full compiler output below (as requested previously by Bill).

/bin/sh /usr/local/swarm2.2/bin/libtool-swarm --mode link gcc - B ../../tools -g
-O2 -arch ppc -Wno-long-double -L/usr/local/swarm2.2/lib -rpath
/usr/local/swarm2.2/lib -o ethnicity main.o ObserverSwarm.o ModelSwarm.o
SchellingWorld.o  Person.o  Nhood2dCounter.o  -lswarm
gcc -B ../../tools -g -O2 -arch ppc -Wno-long-double -o ethnicity main.o ObserverSwarm.o ModelSwarm.o SchellingWorld.o Person.o Nhood2dCounter.o

These are actually link lines not compile lines. We need a couple of the ones that start: /bin/sh /usr/local/swarm2.2/bin/libtool-swarm --mode compile gcc - B ........

/usr/bin/ld: main.o bad magic number (not a Mach-O file)
/usr/bin/ld: ObserverSwarm.o bad magic number (not a Mach-O file)
/usr/bin/ld: ModelSwarm.o bad magic number (not a Mach-O file)
/usr/bin/ld: SchellingWorld.o bad magic number (not a Mach-O file)
/usr/bin/ld: Person.o bad magic number (not a Mach-O file)
/usr/bin/ld: Nhood2dCounter.o bad magic number (not a Mach-O file)

As these lines show, the problem is with the compiles which for some reason are not producing valid object files.
The problem is most likely in the Makefile somewhere.

In case anyone is interested, the program is available for download at:
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~bgabler/

I will try and have a look at it.

Bill

Thanks again,