Re: [Swarm-Support] want to see example of generating random values

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] want to see example of generating random values
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 07:45:15 -0700

Tieju MA wrote:
I want to generate random values following LogNormal distributions with specified mean and variance, but I am very much confused about LogNormalDistCImpl <http://www.swarm.org/swarmdocs-2.2/refbook-java/swarm/random/LogNormalDistCImpl.html> LogNormalDistImpl <http://www.swarm.org/swarmdocs-2.2/refbook-java/swarm/random/LogNormalDistImpl.html> and those interfaces they implement. I don't know how to write the Java code. So it will be really appreciate if someone could show me an example of using those classes and interfaces to generate random values.

There is an example use of the *normal* (not LogNormal) distribution in the "StupidModel" template code: http://www.swarm.org/wiki/Software_templates

Here are code pieces, which were in the Model Swarm.

---
import swarm.random.NormalDistImpl;

---

public class StupidModelSwarm extends SwarmImpl {

        // Declarations
        public ListImpl bugList;
        private NormalDistImpl bugInitSizeDist;

        // Declare model parameters
        public int numberOfInitialBugs = 100;
        public double initialBugSizeMean = 0.1;
        public double initialBugSizeSD = 0.03;

---

// For version 14, we create a normal distribution for
// initial bug sizes here, and use it in getBugInitSize
// This must be created before we create the bugs!
        bugInitSizeDist = new NormalDistImpl
        (this, Globals.env.randomGenerator, initialBugSizeMean,
initialBugSizeSD);

---

        public double getBugInitSize() {
                // In version 14, initial bug sizes are pulled randomly
                double initBugSize = bugInitSizeDist.getDoubleSample();
                if (initBugSize > 0.0) return initBugSize;
                else return 0.0;

Steve Railsback
Lang, Railsback & Associates
Arcata, California