Re: [Swarm-Support] batchswarm problem - getActivity

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] batchswarm problem - getActivity
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:29:08 -0500

Corinne Coen wrote:
Marcus,
Your thoughts are very helpful.  I agree that there is no real error
message
there.  I am doing the debugging because there is one variable in my
model
which works in GUI mode but does not work in batch mode.  I am at a
complete
loss for why this variable would perform differently -- it is not just a
reporting difference.

The funny "not an error" message I sent you is the only indication I
have of
BatchSwarm.m doing anything interesting.  Although I can use debugging
messages in my code, since the GUI works fine, I don't get any printf's
when
I run it.  And, of course, my batch mode runs in the background.

Is there any way to invoke error messages while running batch mode?
Thanks,
Corinne

Dear Corinne:

the debugger gdb can be used to run in batch mode.

gdb ./model_name

> set args -b

> run

will go to the crash, but you can set breakpoints before that.

I wonder if it would not help to start with a working Batch swarm example? Compare your approach with it?

Last Spring, I was teaching my graduate course on agent based modeling and decided to try to fix up the Swarm Sugar Scape to include a batch model and a parameter handler. A couple of students did use this for testing and adding in new features, so I'm pretty sure it worked. I mean, I can't test it now very much because I'm busy, but my recollection is that it did work, it runs now, and I don't think I would have packaged this up and given it to them if it did not work. I recall being quite proud of this at the time, and I cannot remember why I didn't publicize it to this list or such.
Since it is a small file, I'm attaching it.  I hope you don't mind.

pj

Professor, Political Science          http://pj.freefaculty.org
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504 University of Kansas Office: (785) 864-9086