Re: [Swarm-Support] OK, I see that java "no such file or directory" buil

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] OK, I see that java "no such file or directory" build problem on Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:57:41 -0500

Alois Komenda wrote:
Hello,

has a soloution been found to this problem?
Yes, I posted the solution in swarm-support list.

In Ubuntu's JDK version, there is an empty directory i386 under bin, and if you delete that swarm will build correctly.

My email was entitled "Ubuntu Solution (was RE: [Swarm Support] Trouble with Java Interface) on 8/27/2008. Since I don't know how the archives for this list work now, I cant point you there, but I can paste in the message here:

This concerns the missing class files error that is reported on Ubuntu efforts to build Swarm with Java.

I spent the last 2 days tracking this Ubuntu problem. Yesterday, I believe I found the solution. I will make deb packages for it within a few days. I'll announce them here. I may do the quick and dirty "checkinstall" deb packages...

In case you want to build your own, here's the brief explanation.

There is a flaw in the Sun JDK that is packaged/distributed by Ubuntu. I discovered this by installing the JDK from the Sun website, against which Swarm does build, and then I compared the installed files between the JDK as offered by Ubuntu and the original from Sun.

In the jdk provided by the Ubuntu packager (sun-java6-jdk), there are two directories named native_threads

$ find /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/ -name "native_*"
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/bin/i386/native_threads
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/jre/lib/i386/native_threads

and one is empty:

$ ls /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/bin/i386/native_threads/
$ ls /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/jre/lib/i386/native_threads/
libhpi.so

this empty directory confuses the Swarm configure and leads to the build failures you noticed. In the JDK direct from Sun, there is no empty directory bin/i386.

After "rm /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6_07/bin/i386", the swarm configure, make, and install proceed fine, all java classes built.

I did this on Ubuntu 8.04 with their version of the Sun JDK1.6 installed.

I was working with a new test version of swarm, version 2.2.5, and if you want to, you can be a tester as well. It is possible that it will work with 2.2.4 as well, but I did not try. After finding that 2.2.4 failed in Ubuntu, I mistakenly thought there was some problem in the autoconf/automake stuff in Swarm-2.2.4 and I asked Marcus Daniels if he could make a newer code 'snapshot' for testing. That 2.2.5 package is still a testing version, but it does build.

http://www.snoutfarm.com/swarm/swarm-2.2.5.tar.gz

$ tar xzvf swarm-2.2.5.tar.gz
$ cd swarm-2.2.25
$ mkdir builddir
$ cd builddir

$ ../configure --prefix=/opt/packages
--libdir=/opt/packages/lib --with-defaultdir=/usr
--with-jdkdir=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
--enable-onelib --enable-subdirs --with-tcl=/usr/lib/tcl8.4
--with-tk=/usr/lib/tk8.4

$ make
$ sudo make install

This puts swarm in /opt/packages, so before compiling Swarm programs, you need to do

$ export SWARMHOME=/opt/packages

If I'm reading todays swarm-support mail correctly, it may also be needed to do this, but I don't have to do it on my system.

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/packages/lib

Look in this directory

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Swarm

for the logs of configure, make, and make install:

build-config-victory.txt

build-make-victory.txt

build-install-victory.txt

PJ

Removing java/java-stub.elc does not change anything for me. And findImp
gives me a Segmentation Fault (run without any parameters; Did you mean to
run it in that way?).

Is this a Ubuntu/Debian problem? Or does it fail on Linux generally?

Best Regards,

Alois Komenda
Fraunhofer-Einrichtung für Systeme der Kommunikationstechnik ESK