Re: [Swarm-Support] Circumventing memory leaks via swap space

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Circumventing memory leaks via swap space
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:47:07 -0800

Tim Kohler wrote:
Hi Steve, this sounds like it might be useful for village. If you decide to not post how you did it, would you please send us the info?

Here is how I created more swap space on a Linux machine that has one hard drive dedicated to Linux (as well as I can recreate from my notes).

Be aware of course that you are mucking with your disks and seriously bad things could happen...You would be smart to google around a bit on increasing swap space for your particular system.

I have a Fedora 9 machine that uses the LVM disk format.

1. Apparently you cannot just move space on your hard disk from the main Linux partition to your existing swap partition. Instead, you must reduce the size of the main partition to free some space, and then turn that freed space into a new, second, swap partition.

2. I installed and used "system-config-lvm", a graphical disk management tool available as an "Admin tools" package on Fedora. I reduced the size of the main partition (normally, LogVol00) by selecting that partition, clicking on "edit properties", and simply reducing its size by 300 extents (about 9.4 gigabytes). It takes a while for system-config-lvm to finish this step, presumably because it is checking for any files that need to moved.

3. Still in system-config-lvm, I created a new logical volume (in my case, LogVol02, which is system file /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02), setting its size to the amount of space freed up in the previous step. Just select the Volume Group and click on "Create new logical volume".

4. Now you need to tell the operating system that this new logical volume is swap space. You can follow the instructions for setting up the swap partition at:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/s1-swap-adding.html

I did two things:

a) Use the command "mkswap" to turn the new partition into swap space. For my system, I did:
 mkswap /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02

b) Edit the file /etc/fstab to add a line telling the system about the new partition when you boot. For me, it was:
  /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 swap swap defaults 0 0

--
Steve Railsback
Lang, Railsback & Associates