Re: [Swarm-Support] Circumventing memory leaks via swap space

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Circumventing memory leaks via swap space
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:21:15 -0800

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
Steve Railsback wrote:
I got around the problem simply by creating a new giant swap partition on my Linux hard drive.

To do that on Linux:

1. Make a large file with "dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024
count=BIGNUMBER".  Where BIGNUMBER is the number of kilobytes in your
swapfile.
2) Set it up as a swapfile with "mkswap swapfile".
3) Bring it online  "swapon swapfile".

This is cool! I did it on my dual-boot laptop where I don't have the space (or the courage) to make a new swap partition. Here's exactly what I did in Fedora 9:

1. In my home directory:

  dd if=/dev/zero of=MyGiantSwapfile bs=1024 count=6000000

That created a 6 gigabyte empty file called MyGiantSwapfile.

2. Then:

  /sbin/mkswap MyGiantSwapfile

(On my machine, the command "mkswap" is not on the path so I had to include the path to it.)

3. Then:

  su -c "/sbin/swapon MyGiantSwapfile"

(Again, the command "swapon" is not on the path.
As I understand, this last command has to be repeated to activate the swap file, each time you log in. And you can de-activate it with "swapoff".)

Now you can verify that it worked by starting up the system monitor and looking at the resources. You can see that there is a lot more swap space.

Steve

--
Steve Railsback
Lang, Railsback & Associates