[Swarm-Support] Circumventing memory leaks via swap space

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Circumventing memory leaks via swap space
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:33:11 -0800

Here's something I learned that may help someone else...

We have a giant Objective-C Swarm model that we need to run for hours at a time. Despite a lot of effort, it still has some memory leaks that gradually use up the RAM and then the swap space, limiting the length of runs we can do.

I got around the problem simply by creating a new giant swap partition on my Linux hard drive. Now, as the hours go by, the operating system just periodically dumps another truckload of garbage out of RAM and into the swap partition. The processor (core 2 duo) does not even slow down noticeably as RAM fills up.

If anyone wants to know how to create more swap space in Linux, say so and I will post what I did.

I don't know why the same trick wouldn't work in Windows---make the Windows pagefile bigger.

Steve R.

--
Steve Railsback
Lang, Railsback & Associates