Re: [Swarm-Support] JVM errors when trying to run a model

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] JVM errors when trying to run a model
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:41:27 -0600

Williamson, Robert J wrote:
>> Well, considering Windows 7 is an untested platform (for me, at least),
>> it might be relevant.
>>
>> I don't know where Windows 7 is going to consider the Swarmhome, but if
>> you do a filesearch for .swarmArchiver across the whole drive, you will
>> probably get a hint.
>>
>> You have not mentioned if the swarm demo applications like Heatbugs run
>> properly.
>
> I have set SWARMHOME in my environmental variables as :
> C:/Swarm-2.2-java/, per the Java installation instructions.
> No luck on the .swarmArchive their either though.
>
> I did a file search and didn't find anything.
>
> I can run Heatbugs, but i get the same error as in this post:
> http://www.swarm.org/pipermail/support/2006-July/015135.html
> Whenever i hit "start" on the GUI the model crashes with a null pointer
> in drawSelfOn.

I'd say that's informative.  Wouldn't you?

You might contact Steve to see if you can get that version of heatbugs
that does work for him. Or ask him if it is posted somewhere.

I just do Objective-C and only in Unix/Linux. I don't want you to think
I'm ignoring you, it is just that I don't do Windoze at all, and not
much Java. I have been making sure that the Swarm Objective C programs
work, but I don't know that anybody is supervising Java.

The key is to find out if Swarm libraries work at all.  Then worry about
whether the Java Native Interface "overlay" works.

Perhaps you could try the Obj-C versions to see if they work in W-7.
I'm guessing this is the most recent version I built :)
http://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/apps/objc/sdg/swarmapps-objc-2.2-3.tar.gz

I do recall there was a testing version of the Java Heatbugs that might
be worth trying. You don't mention what version you had.
http://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/apps/java/sdg/testing/jheatbugs-2001-03-28.tar.gz

Dept. of Political Science            http://pj.freefaculty.org
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504