swarm-swarmfest2004

Re: [SwarmFest2004] paper submission question (fwd)

From: gepr
Subject: Re: [SwarmFest2004] paper submission question (fwd)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:48:50 -0800

Rick Riolo writes:
 > What has been the policy in the past?
 > Can people submit an abstract now, and then upgrade
 > to a paper later?

Yes.  In many cases, we haven't required papers at all.  Or, in
some cases, the papers came in _after_ the meeting.

 > Does the length/format of submission influence
 > what kind of time-slice they get for a talk?

Not sure about the _format_, per se; but, Yes.  Usually, if the
speaker is known to have lots of good things to say, they're given
more time.  If the point of the topic is a good example of an issue in
ABM, then they get more time.  If the topic is less important to the
majority of people or is hyper-complicated (like a technical talk on
something like C++ integration), then it gets less time.

When in doubt, we've asked each presenter how much time she wants or
asked them to decide on two options, 15 minutes versus 30 minutes or
somesuch and offer them a choice.

 > Or the probability that they will be allowed
 > only a poster, not a talk?

I think posters have typically been reserved for submissions
received _after_ the roster is filled or for submissions that
look more like a learning experience for the presenter.  Perhaps
posters can be convolved with demos, too.  If a person wants to
show a demo but not necessarily give a formal talk, then make
it a poster.

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 503.630.4505                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr