Re: [Swftools-common] textsnapshot behavior on converted swfs

From: Chris Flowers
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] textsnapshot behavior on converted swfs
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:20:23 -0500

Hi Matthias,

> I'm looking at the textSnapShot issue right now, too.
> One quick question before I dive into the sourcecode again: If you need
> the dynamic text object (that's an EditText, right?) for it, why did it
work
> with 0.6.3?

I did not try this with 0.6.3 or 0.7.0 yet. I did a quick test by hand with
the Flash 8 IDE to mess around with TextSnapShot class and I first
experienced the highlight issue Ajay described.

I then read deeper into the specs and found for the highlight to work
it needs each font's metrics. This was resloved in the IDE by placing a
dynamic text box on stage and embedding 1 character.

Yes, I think your EditText is what they call dynamic. It looks like a
DEFINEFONT2 tag is what it really is looking for.

It also seems the later Flash 6 players support this.
My MX (Flash 6 r21) player did not even thought the swf is 6.

I've attached a sample that shows the TextSnapShot hilighting.
Portions are selected in yellow. If you do not see the yellow highlights
try a newer player version. Hopefully decompiling this will put you on
track to generating the proper tags needed.

Here is a link to MM's help doc for TextSnapShot.
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/mx2004/main_7_2/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/h
tml/wwhelp.htm?context=Flash_MX_2004&file=00001509.html

Chris