Re: [Swftools-common] License for commercial desktop software and/or we

From: Ahmad ElDardiry
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] License for commercial desktop software and/or website one
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:35:25 -0700

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
May peace and Allah Mercy and Blessings be upon you,

Chris,

"The source that you write yourself, does not need to be, The source
from Matthias'
work, *does* need to be.   Version 3 of the GPL, only asks that you
link to the source,
for example via FTP, or at least explain where it can be obtained by
those who are
interested to do so.  A small price to pay for what you are getting, I
think, yes?"

Definitly, I'm perfectly ready to credit Mathiass however he likes in my application, links, copyright files, ..., but including the entire source code files with the binaries, this is somewhat difficult.

I hope Mathiass confirms that.

"Comparison to other licenses
===================

at this link:

I did check that, MIT (or X11) seems much more liberal, though that doesn't mean I'm not convinced of the importance of GPL.

Thank you again Chris, your help is much appreciated.

2009/7/28 Chris Pugh <address@hidden>
Ahmad,

2009/7/28 Ahmad ElDardiry <address@hidden>:
> السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
> May peace and Allah Mercy and Blessings be upon you,
>
> Chris,
>
> Thank you, now I understand.

Good.

> "My sentence was simply a tag line to the response given to you
> by Matthias, and meant to qualify his statement.   Where is the
> difficulty in your comprehension?"
>
> I  apologize if I did understand you wrong, I think that's because my
> English has a limit.

As does my arabic(!)   I have just re-read what I put.  Apologies, I could
have put it better.  Glad you understood me though.

> "Where is the problem in allowing
> people access to the source code of something that you yourself got
> for nothing, and crediting those responsible?   Please enlighten me/us?"
>
> Well, the problem is that I don't see including the source code in a
> commercial application makes sense or professional, if I intended to release
> my product as open source, this would be convenient, at least in my opinion.

The source that you write yourself, does not need to be, The source
from Matthias'
work, *does* need to be.   Version 3 of the GPL, only asks that you
link to the source,
for example via FTP, or at least explain where it can be obtained by
those who are
interested to do so.  A small price to pay for what you are getting, I
think, yes?

Ask Matthias again, if that is sufficient.  Better still I'll ask him
to qualify as well.

> "There is really very little different between MIT"
>
> Would you be kind enough to tell me that difference in brief, as I  my
> English is not that good to read and fully understand the licences, I'm also
> not a lawyer or so.

Wikipedia does it well.  See the section.

Comparison to other licenses
===================

at this link:
> Bettawfeeq to you too, (smile).