Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf quits without converting or warning at 'G

From: Chris Pugh
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf quits without converting or warning at 'Generating info structure'
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 10:24:50 +0000

On 6 February 2010 22:35, Joseph Masoud <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 06/02/10 19:56, Chris Pugh wrote:
>>
>> Goedenavond Eric,
>>
>> Het spijt me, maar... issuing,
>>
>>     pdf2swf -o LB5a_Compl_FC.swf LB5a_Compl_FC.pdf
>>
>> under Windows ( Vista Basic ), and generic Linux 2.6.28 (gcc version
>> 4.1.2) gives a perfect result for me. All 128 pages are produced
>> without a single glitch.  I can post the resultant swf file somewhere
>> if you wish to see it?
>>
>> Conclusion?  There is nothing wrong with SWFTools 0.9.0 nor your
>> original pdf!   What about your set up?  What o/s or o/s'es are you
>> using, and which version of SWTools?   Are all your libraries and
>> ancillary programs correctly installed and your system in good order?
>> It would appear not. Have you tried this conversion on at least one
>> other system and SWFTools installation?
>>
>> Veel geluk!
>>

>> Chris.
>>
>> On 6 February 2010 10:57, Eric Adriaans | Dsens<address@hidden>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>

>>> I have a problem with pdf2swf. While converting a pdf, pdf2swf quits
>>> without
>>> giving me a reason why… So now I am a bit lost. The output of the script
>>> is
>>> the following:
>>>

>>> VERBOSE setting parameter flashversion to "9"
>>> NOTICE outputting one file per page
>>> VERBOSE Generating info structure for page 1
>>> VERBOSE looking for font Helvetica in global params
>>> VERBOSE Storing standard PDF font Helvetica at /tmp/78b73ed862412233.pfb
>>> VERBOSE Generating info structure for page 2
>>>

>>> That’s it. The pdf contains 128 pages, exporting only the first page
>>> works
>>> (with –p 1-1), but exporting pages from page 2 and up fails. The original
>>> pdf is about 110Mb, I’ve tried optimizing it in Adobe Acrobat Pro, I had
>>> the
>>> file examined by Acrobat Pro and then saved, but it still acts the same.
>>>

>>> Does anybody have any idea how I can figure out what’s going wrong?
>>>

>>> If anyone wants to try the conversion themselves, the conversions can be
>>> triggered at:
>>>

>>> http://lab.dsens.net/pdf2swf/?reconvert=LB5a_Compl_FC.pdf
>>>
>>> http://lab.dsens.net/pdf2swf/?reconvert=LB5a_Compl_FC_examined.pdf
>>>
>>> http://lab.dsens.net/pdf2swf/?reconvert=LB5a_Compl_FC_optimized.pdf
>>>
>>> http://lab.dsens.net/pdf2swf/?reconvert=LB5a_Compl_FC_optimized2.pdf
>>>

>>> The files are at:
>>>
>>> http://lab.dsens.net/pdf2swf/pdf/LB5a_Compl_FC.pdf
>>>
>>> http://lab.dsens.net/pdf2swf/pdf/LB5a_Compl_FC_examined.pdf
>>>
>>> http://lab.dsens.net/pdf2swf/pdf/LB5a_Compl_FC_optimized.pdf
>>>
>>> http://lab.dsens.net/pdf2swf/pdf/LB5a_Compl_FC_optimized2.pdf
>>>

>>> Greetings,
>>>

>>> Eric
>>>
>>> Dsens.nl
>>>
>>> __________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database
>>> viruskenmerken 4840 (20100205) __________
>>>
>>> Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>>>
>>> http://www.eset.com

> [...]

The first conversion under Windows ( Vista Basic ), and generic Linux
2.6.28 (gcc version >> 4.1.2)  was done locally, with a 32 bit system.

I've also tested the same file under a 64 bit system, my web server
install  (  Intel Xeon CPU  E5420  @ 2.50GHz, Linux version 2.6.24,
gcc version 4.2.4  ), using swftools 0.9.0.  Again no issues.  Works
perfectly.

Issuing,

     pdf2swf -s simpleviewer -o LB5a_Compl_FC.swf LB5a_Compl_FC.pdf

then,

     swfdump --xhtml LB5a_Compl_FC.swf > index.html

produces this result:

     http://www.nordberg.me.uk/swfc_samples/eric/

The only info which may be of interest is that the server side install
is not strictly a distro.  More a generic installation packed out with
a raft of source code installs, including a straight ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local one of SWFTools 0.9.0.   Anything smacking oif
distro tweaked component or library has been removed.

HTH ( though possibly not! )

Regards,

Chris.