Re: [Swftools-common] 100% CPU load with slides with synced sound

From: Pablo Rodríguez
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] 100% CPU load with slides with synced sound
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 22:21:25 +0100

On 02/08/2011 08:29 PM, Chris wrote:
On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 15:48:06 +0100
Pablo Rodríguez<address@hidden>  wrote:

What is happen is that flashplayer is looping between frame 5 and 6.
So make it loop slower.

Is there any way to avoid the loop?

Don't have .frame 1 to .frame 6?  I can't really see why they're there
anyway.  However, that not only digresses, but will probably open a
whole new can of worms!-  so, shut up Chris ;o)  )

Thanks for your reply, Chris.

I'm open to improvements on the script, but I should release this presentation as soon as possible.

The problem now is that CPU load is much higher if I forward or rewind
the slides (Right and Left keys). And this slows down the video playing.

I compiled your set of slides with the mp3, as is Pablo.  Guess what?
It runs fine. No heavy load on either CPU or memory.  In fact, I have
barely a 0.1 listed in the processes.  Interesting result, since I have
quite an old laptop with minimal memory.

Might I have your file? It would be perfect if it works.

The weird thing is that I compiled the script on both Linux and Windows machines and I got the same results played on Windows and Linux.

Again I cannot understand why this might happen. Have you compiled the script exactly as it is on the website? No corrections or fine tunings? I mean, are fps set to 1 or 12?

Perhaps you can put two and two together?  Stop blaming swftools for
this, and<evil grin>  go swap Fedora core, or whatever combination you
have, for something else..<evil grin>

If your presentation works, I'd like to know what are you running (not to switch, only to know ;-)).

Other than that..

  your keyboard controls don't appear to do what you expect them to. That
  is when they work, which they didn't for me.

This is the first notice I have. In the current presentation, keyboard controls aren't as responsive as they should because of the huge CPU load. But they do work for me.

Do the buttons at http://www.ousia.tk/freeculture.php work for you?

  why are are you embedding that mp3?  Would it not be way easier to
  stream it?

I would like to have it all in one file. Sorry, but it's easier to move and I don't think that streaming is better for this.

  Suite Bergamasque huh? How about a music snippet from it to lighten
  the mood of the presentation - add a bit of punch to the dialogue?**

Thanks for this. As an excuse, I'm not used to record my voice with a real microphone, so I must learn how to do it.

  If the vocal happens to be your good self, maybe down a few tequila's
  beforehand? ( I am joking there ). ;o)

As far as I can say, this is not my real voice. I have heard it before (my recorded voice, I mean) and it didn't sound so childish. But this might be related to the recording scenario (it was not so easy, I must say).

** This is someone who tried to listed to Lessig.  I don't feel a tad
    guilty in saying I was sound asleep after 2 minutes.  Many people
    have interesting things to say and good points to make, but by golly
    that doesn't mean to say their presentation skills match 'em. ;o)

Interesting, I wouldn't say that Lessig is not a good speaker or presenter.

Not being a native speaker, I have to concentrate more on the presentation and this might be the cause of not falling asleep ;-).

Just out of curiosity, would you consider the same in http://lessig.blip.tv/file/4712938/?

Many thanks again for your help,

Pablo
--