Re: [Swftools-common] 100% CPU load with slides with synced sound

From: Chris
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] 100% CPU load with slides with synced sound
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 23:36:22 +0100

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 22:21:25 +0100
Pablo Rodríguez <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 02/08/2011 08:29 PM, Chris wrote:

> >> Is there any way to avoid the loop?
> >
> > Don't have .frame 1 to .frame 6?  I can't really see why they're there
> > anyway.  However, that not only digresses, but will probably open a
> > whole new can of worms!-  so, shut up Chris ;o)  )
>
> Thanks for your reply, Chris.
>
> I'm open to improvements on the script, but I should release this
> presentation as soon as possible.

I hadn't looked closely at the code Pablo.  Maybe we could do that for
the next time you do this?

> >> The problem now is that CPU load is much higher if I forward or rewind
> >> the slides (Right and Left keys). And this slows down the video playing.
> >
> > I compiled your set of slides with the mp3, as is Pablo.  Guess what?
> > It runs fine. No heavy load on either CPU or memory.  In fact, I have
> > barely a 0.1 listed in the processes.  Interesting result, since I have
> > quite an old laptop with minimal memory.
>
> Might I have your file? It would be perfect if it works.

Well I did delete it afterwards, but I could always compile it again.
Only you can tell me if it works as you expect it to.  Better we take
this discussion off-list and I send you a link though.

> The weird thing is that I compiled the script on both Linux and Windows
> machines and I got the same results played on Windows and Linux.

Well unless your hardware is doing something weird, or you yourself are,
on the compile, then I'm not sure what could the issue could be.

> Again I cannot understand why this might happen. Have you compiled the
> script exactly as it is on the website? No corrections or fine tunings?
> I mean, are fps set to 1 or 12?

I downloaded everything as is from the links you posted.  Everything that
is, except the font - I used FreeSans.ttf instead.  Compiled, and off it
went..

> > Perhaps you can put two and two together?  Stop blaming swftools for
> > this, and<evil grin>  go swap Fedora core, or whatever combination you
> > have, for something else..<evil grin>
>
> If your presentation works, I'd like to know what are you running (not
> to switch, only to know ;-)).

I was, as you guessed, pulling a leg or two there, but, sure you can! ;o)
My laptop is a bit of a mash-up, with a few different things on different
partitions.  The main partition started life with a minimal install of
Vector Linux ( a light Slackware derivative ).  All else, including a
kernel / libc upgrade, along with several versions of SWFTools, is from
source code compiles.  I'm not sure exactly what it is now. I must like
pain though, huh? ;o)

> > Other than that..
> >
> >   your keyboard controls don't appear to do what you expect them to.
> That is when they work, which they didn't for me.
>
> This is the first notice I have. In the current presentation, keyboard
> controls aren't as responsive as they should because of the huge CPU
> load. But they do work for me.

Again, I didn't look closely at your code to see what they were supposed
to do. But, they didn't appear to do much.  UP and DOWN seemd ok. The
others..?

> Do the buttons at http://www.ousia.tk/freeculture.php work for you?
>
> >   why are are you embedding that mp3?  Would it not be way easier to
> >   stream it?
>
> I would like to have it all in one file. Sorry, but it's easier to move
> and I don't think that streaming is better for this.

Your choice entirely.

> >   Suite Bergamasque huh? How about a music snippet from it to lighten
> >   the mood of the presentation - add a bit of punch to the dialogue?**
>
> Thanks for this. As an excuse, I'm not used to record my voice with a
> real microphone, so I must learn how to do it.

I *was* pulling your leg again there, Pablo! But, why not?  Music quietens
the savage beast or similar.

> >   If the vocal happens to be your good self, maybe down a few tequila's
> >   beforehand? ( I am joking there ). ;o)
>
> As far as I can say, this is not my real voice. I have heard it before
> (my recorded voice, I mean) and it didn't sound so childish. But this
> might be related to the recording scenario (it was not so easy, I must > say).

You can be as way too serious, as I can be silly. It sounded fine. ;o)

> > ** This is someone who tried to listed to Lessig.  I don't feel a tad
> >     guilty in saying I was sound asleep after 2 minutes.  Many people
> >     have interesting things to say and good points to make, but by golly
> >     that doesn't mean to say their presentation skills match 'em. ;o)
>
> Interesting, I wouldn't say that Lessig is not a good speaker or presenter.

Hey, we agree! ;o)

> Not being a native speaker, I have to concentrate more on the
> presentation and this might be the cause of not falling asleep ;-).
>
> Just out of curiosity, would you consider the same in
> http://lessig.blip.tv/file/4712938/?

Sort of.  I humbly submit he needs to use more ups and down in vocal
pitch, and/or punch the points he makes with the right choices. Same
goes for the silences or lack of them, for emphasis. That and learn
how to breathe. Tough critic aren't I? ;o)  ( I'm not sure I could
do it any better myself.. )

Unless there are any salient points to be posted here, I will
off-list you.

Regards,

Chris.
--