Re: [Synaptic-devel] Re: apt/synaptic improvements

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Re: apt/synaptic improvements
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:34:38 +0100

Hi Mike,

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 04:00:22PM -0700, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02 2003 at 15:46,
> Mike Snitzer <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Using synaptic v0.32 I can't search for any characters in the package
> > name; all that seems to work is sequential searches from the start of the
> > package name.
> >
> > The search filter doesn't appear to be able to accomodate regular
> > expressions; I don't know if it should or if its planned? if matching for
> > a particular pattern, anywhere in the package name is a possibilty how is
> > this feature made available to the user?
>
> this question still stands =)

You solved this problem, didn't you? I read it in another mail.
What exactly did you searching for and why was the result different
than you expected?

> BUT, I resolved this next bit of concern:
>
> > As a side note:  when I try to add a "New" filter in the "Filters..."
> > creation window; it creates a filter named 'A New Filter' (disregarding
> > the name I wanted it to be).  After I create the filter accordingly; I
> > click Save; and exit the "Filters..." window.  I then attempt to make use
> > of my newly created filter and when I do synaptic crashes.  Are custom
> > filters unsupported at this point?
>
> I realized you click 'New' then change the name after you've created the
> New Filter instance.  And the reason that my filter died is I attempted to
> filter the name with a regex (would be a nice feature =).

You raised a valid point. The UI of the filter dialog has some
glitches. We are working on a new dialog that is more user
friendly. But I don't think it will be ready for the next version.

You said that you managed to crash synaptic using a weird filter. This
shouldn't crash synaptic. Can you please send me some more details so
that I can reproduce and fix this?

> Regardless, Sorry about the user error noise.

Hey, please let us know what you think. It's not noise but importend
feedback :)

> Mike
Michael
--
GPG Fingerprint = EA71 B296 4597 4D8B 343E  821E 9624 83E1 5662 C734
You Know You've Been Playing Too Much Nethack When...