Re: [Synaptic-devel] address@hidden: Synaptic - wishlist]

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] address@hidden: Synaptic - wishlist]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:54:04 +0100

Am Di, den 18.11.2003 schrieb Michael Vogt um 12:12:
> ----- Forwarded message from Nicholas Hanson <address@hidden> -----
>
> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:16:37 -0500
> From: Nicholas Hanson <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Synaptic - wishlist

> - Please add an option to disable the auto find as you type.

This will perhaps be fixed with the new GTK2.4 which will hopefully
bring a great performance increase to the TreeWidget, that is used for
the package list.

But you can increase the delay by setting an internal option of
synaptic. Michael knows more about this.

> - Please make the default filter "upgradable" or allow the user to set
> it in preferences as the all packages tree takes a long time to build.
>
> That's it for performance enhancements, the next is a bug?
>
> - Programmed Changes = Queued Changes??? Why both filters?

Ups, it seems to be my fault. I renamed the filer some time ago and I
thought that the filters did not duplicate on my system.

> And lastly some general suggestions:
>
> - Please allow users to delete default filters and add an option to
> restore in prefs.

Should the default filters be editable at all? I don't know how often
people need to edit one of the default filters. I've added only one
custom filter add all. So perhaps I am also not the right person to
discuss the use of filter.

But I would favour non-editable default filters against a reset
function. Otherwise we have to make clear what a default filter is and
what not, so that nobody unwarily undos his or her changes.

> - Please add hyperlink support in package info for example:
>       - On common tab hyperlink maintainers email address.
>       - In package descriptions hyperlink urls that often exist for
>       packages homepage.

This can not be done in a satisfying way. The problem is that you would
need to choose an app. So we could either guess an app or provide
settings.

Guessing an app would lead to the next wish: to configure them. Because
a browser could be guessed quite easy - always try mozilla - but this
would not work with the mail app very well. Or would like to use pine or
mutt when you have only configured balsa?

So we would have to provide settings for this. First I think that it is
not good to configure this in every single app. The desktop defaults
should be used, but we don't have a desktop integration. Furthermore we
could consider to use gnome, but this would introduce a lot more
dependencies.

Secondly, I think that the inclusion of settings should be chosen well.
We have to pay attention not to clutter the GUI.

Finally I assume that you don't write so many emails to package
maintainers. The steps to configure the mailer app and the gui clutter
won't be compensated by this little more of comfort.

As a solution I would suggest to enable text selection in label_info
(the text widget that shows all infos). Thus the address could be easily
copied into the mailer.

> I only sent this email to you so please pass it on to whoever else is
> appropriate. Thank you for the awesome app.

Thanks for your comment and suggestions,

Sebastian