Re: [Synaptic-devel] Re: Synaptic - wishlist

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Re: Synaptic - wishlist
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:47:01 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Michael Vogt wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 07:16:37PM -0500, Nicholas Hanson wrote:
> > First let me say you have an excellent little app. I do however have a
> > few suggestions/requests. The first few are for those of us with slow
> > systems (I'm running a pre-MMX P166 w/ 64MB of RAM for example).
>
> Ok :)
>
> How much slower is synaptic in building the dependency cache compared
> to stock apt?

On my boxes the actual cache building time is not *visibly* much
different, but with 64MB memory the memory overhead of Synaptic compared
to apt could easily throw it into swapping frenzy... which will obviously
make it ages slower.

> > - Please add hyperlink support in package info for example:
> >     - On common tab hyperlink maintainers email address.
> >     - In package descriptions hyperlink urls that often exist for
> >     packages homepage.
>
> This is planed for the all http URIs. This is easy, because I can call
> "sensible-browser" for debian and "mozilla", "konquerer" for other
> systems. What how can I call mailto URIs?

In GNOME you could in theory grab the output of
'gconftool-2 --get /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/mailto/command'
and avoid linking to gnome libraries and no doubt some similar trick would
be possible in KDE but.. somehow I don't think that's worth the trouble
:-/

        - Panu -