[Synaptic-devel] Re: Synaptic - wishlist

From: Gustavo Niemeyer
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Re: Synaptic - wishlist
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:48:43 -0200

> > - Please investigate the possibility of caching the dependancy tree
> > between sessions. It takes a very long time to build and if it hasn't
> > changed it would be nice if the app could open faster. I don't know if
> > there is some date available to compare the cache to to know if it's out
> > of date but I think it might be worth looking into.
>
> This is pretty tough, as the cache is under the control of libapt. I
> only use it, I have no means to cache here (but Gustavo is the expert
> here, maybe he can comment).

Sure. Actually this caching is already being done. If the state of the
packages in your system have not changed, APT will open a lot faster
than when you've just run update, or has just removed/installed some
package. Unfortunately, it's still a heavy operation.

> > - Please don't rebuild the dependancy tree after an update has run if no
> > new package lists were downloaded.
>
> This one is tricky again. Synaptic uses libapt again for the fetching
> and I know of know way how to report that there are now actually
> changes to the package list (all I get is failed, or ok). We could
> workaround this though (Gustavo, am I right here?).

Hummm.. I think I'm missing something here. Isn't this exactly what was
asked above?

> > - Please add an option to disable the auto find as you type.
>
> I'll consider this. Is it so slow? You can use the non-interactive
> find in the "packages" menu for now.

Given that there's already a non-interactive option, in the menu, I'm
not sure if changing the behavior of the find bar is really necessary.

> > That's it for performance enhancements, the next is a bug?
> >
> > - Programmed Changes = Queued Changes??? Why both filters?
>
> Yes, this is a bug. Thanks.

Btw, I prefer "Programmed Changes", since the changes are not really
"enqueued", but that's just personal taste.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net