[Synaptic-devel] dlNeeded patch

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] dlNeeded patch
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:59:00 +0100

Hi,

I played around with the suggestion to display the needed download
size along with the total download size. Like apt-get is showing:
------------------------------------8<------------------------------------
104 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 25 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 36.7MB/38.5MB of archives.
            ^^^^^^
------------------------------------8<------------------------------------

I have a implementation attached that will display the size in the
summary dialog. The only thing that worries me is that it's too
slow on slower machines. As Panu pointed out in the discussion some
weeks ago, the Fetcher object that knowns what's in cache and what
needs to be downloaded is available very late with the current design
of the packagelister class. What I do in the patch is to create such a
fetcher object just to calculate the needed downloadsize and delete it
later on again.

I'm worried that this will be too slow on low-end machines. Can
someone with a slower machine test if this patch will slow down the
creation of the summary window (if you click on execute, this window
is created)? I only have a 1200Mhz P3 and I don't really notice it
here. I'm interessted in ~200Mhz style machine results :)

thanks,
 Michael