Re: [Synaptic-devel] Memory leak?

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Memory leak?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 01:40:21 +0100

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 08:51:08PM +0100, Tanja + Jack wrote:
> Dear synaptic developer,
Hi Jack,

> After running synaptic for a while (changing my mind on whether to
> install/remove packages a couple of times) I noticed that the computer
> became really really slow. Then I found out (with top) that synaptic
> used 400MB+ of memory, which was sufficient to clog memory and swap.
> Is this a memory leak bug? Or is it an apt problem?
>
> I use synaptic 0.44-rb1 with apt 0.5.5cnc6-rb3 on Suse 8.2

I'm not sure. Synaptic had memory leaks in the past. So you may want
to upgrade to 0.47 and see if the problem goes away. Quite a few bugs
where fixed onthe way to 0.47.

We run memory leak detector tools over synaptic now and then. This
mail is a good reason to do it again.

> Thanks for the effort you put into apt and synaptic. I find these tools
> very convenient.

Thanks :) Please let me know if you still have problems with 0.47. I
would also like to know how difficult it was to trigger the leak. For
example, did you just installed and removed some packages? If so, how
many (just rough number, something like 10, 100, 500)? Did you used
undo/redo a lot?

Thanks,
 Michael