Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 01:46:44 +0100

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 09:21:09PM +0100, Richard Bos wrote:
> Op woensdag 14 januari 2004 09:25, schreef Panu Matilainen:
> > > "Not apt administrated packages"
> > > "Not apt tracked packages"
> >
> > "What the heck is apt?" If you have an end user using synaptic to install
> > packages [s]he might never have even heard of apt and will be just
> > confused. I'd suggest against these variants.
> >
> > > or indeed the term that is already used, being "local packages".
> >
> > How about "manually installed packages"?
>
> Sounds good as well.  Although this is not always the real truth.  If I e.g.
> install an experimental pkg using synaptic and after installation I remove
> the component providing the pkg, it was not installed manually.  And from
> that moment (removing the component) the pkg is "no longer registered in the
> local pkg database".  Even that is not true as the pkg is registered in the
> rpm database....

Looks like we still don't have a consensus about the term. I see two
good candiates right now:
"manually installed packages"
"local packages"

We may think about some more:
"not downloadable packages"
"packages from unknown source"

or something like this. I'm open for more suggestions :)

thanks,
 Michael