[Synaptic-devel] SIGPIPE & friends

From: Gustavo Niemeyer
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] SIGPIPE & friends
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:00:45 -0200

Hello Michael,

I belive I've found something about the SIGPIPE issue we've been
discussing. While looking for an answer about why the kernel has
changed its behavior somewhere around SIGPIPE, I've asked one of
our kernel hackers if he had seen something about it. He pointed
me to the following discussion in the kernel list:

  http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2003/Oct/1588.html

The mentioned issue is pretty similar to what we have in Synaptic,
with threads sharing the same file descriptor namespace.

With that in mind, I'm working to move our threaded execution of
DoInstall() in rinstallprogress and friends to a forking model.
I'm not sure about how this will affect the Debian side though,
but I belive the same scheme may be used. Indeed, it should be
even easier in the Debian side, since you're already forking
with the zvt/vte forking system.

Can you please check it out, and let me know if it works for you?
I'll be around if you need any help.

Btw, I've also introduced the slideshow feature we talked about
a while ago. It may need some work yet, but the basic system is
there.

[I'm forwarding that message to the devel list since it may break
 the repository temporarily]

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net