Re: [Synaptic-devel] Update <-> Refresh

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Update <-> Refresh
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:43:29 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:

> Since we are already doing some string changes in the current
> development version I would like to discuss another issue:
>
> The "update" term.
>
> If I remember the first times I used apt I've sometimes confounded
> update with upgrade and vice versa.

Indeed, and it doesn't help the situation that there are other depsolvers,
namely yum, using "update" to do what in apt terminology means "upgrade"
and "upgrade" for apt's "dist-upgrade" operation :-/

> I don't know how close we want to stay at the apt terminology, but I
> would suggest to replace "update Package List" with "Refresh Package
> List".
>
> "Refresh" is the term also used by other apps in the same case:
> refreshing the underlying data.
>
> So it would bring us a clearer differentiation and more desktop
> integration.

Agreed, "Refresh package list" is much better than "Update" for someone
not from apt-background. I wouldn't mind changing the terminology in
apt as well, eg depreceate "update" and replace with "refresh" but that's
likely to be a "bit" more difficult to get approved :)

        - Panu -