Re: [Synaptic-devel] Update <-> Refresh

From: Andreas Schmidt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Update <-> Refresh
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:05:19 +0100

On 2004.01.23 11:46, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
Am Fr, den 23.01.2004 schrieb Panu Matilainen um 11:06:
> The same is also true for Finnish, "refresh" is distinctly different
from
> both "update" and "upgrade" (which are synonyms here also).
>
>    - Panu -

In German all three terms are translated with the same word
"aktualisieren" :(

Sebastian

Of course, if you want to have it really short, "aktualisieren" is the translation that comes to mind for all these terms. However, there are different ways to express these in German. My old dictionary came up with these:
update - "auf den neuesten Stand bringen"
upgrade - "(Prod.) verbessern"
refresh - "(mind) Gedaechtnis auffrischen"

Granted, these are not very nice translations. But who says you have to limit the translation to just one word where even in the English version the buttons are labeled with two? IMHO, "Update list"/"Paketliste erneuern" and "Upgrade system"/"System aktualisieren" are descriptive enough. Replacing "update" with "refresh" in the english version might make the difference to "upgrade" more obvious, but I don't see how this would need to affect the German translation...

Best regards,

Andreas